Translated into ASL by David Bar-Tzur
Introduction to the ASL translations of the Jewish services
Lighting the candles
LORD OUR GOD, KING WORLD~GENERAL, WE PRAISE. WHY? PEOPLE GROUP"each", YOU PICK JEWISH PEOPLE HELP BECOME HOLY. COMMAND CHANNUKAH1 LIGHT-CANDLE"each"2.
LORD OUR GOD, KING WORLD~GENERAL, WE PRAISE. WHY? LONG-AGO God-SHOW-TO-us JEWISH PEOPLE, MIRACLE3 GO-IN-CYCLES4, ARRIVE NOW, CELEBRATE.
LORD OUR GOD, KING WORLD~GENERAL, WE PRAISE. WHY? (1-OF-3)5 GIVE-TO-us LIFE, (2-OF-3) HELP-us BE-STRONG, (2-OF-3) ALLOW US ARRIVE NOW+ TIME-PERIOD.
DURING CHANNUKAH, WE LIGHT-CANDLE"each" CONTINUE"over time" EIGHT D-A-Y-S. FOR-FOR? IF WE LOOK-AT-"reg" CHANNUKAH LAMP6, REMIND-us LOOK-BACK REMEMBER. LONG-AGO, YOU HELP-"all" COHEN7 GROUP DO MIRACLE. WAR FINISH, JEWISH PEOPLE OPPRESSION-OFF8. USE LIGHT OTHER REASON, FORBIDDEN.
(Maoz tzur) YOU FOUNDATION9 MY SALVATION. ME THRILLED PRAISE YOU.
PLEASE SET-UP MY HOUSE FOR PRAY. #DO-DO? WE BRING OFFER THANK++.
WHEN YOU HELP US PREPARED10 KILL"each" ENEMY THEY-lf AGAINST YOUR++,
HAPPEN? ME DEDICATE ALTAR WITH SONG.
(Raot shavah) MY SOUL HAD-FILL-OF11 TROUBLE. ME GRIEVE"over time" LEAD-TO EXHAUSTED.
ENEMY THEY-lf MAKE MY LIFE BITTER. WE SLAVE EGYPT, ITSELF-ctr WORSHIP BABY COW.
BUT HE USE HIS WONDERFUL POWER HELP PEOPLE HE CHERISH.
EGYPT KING HIS-lf ARMY (2h)#ALL12 CONFRONT13 SEA DROWN LIKE STONE.
(D'vir qadsho) HE BRING-TO-me HIS-God's TOP* HOLY PLACE, BUT STILL ME REST NONE.
OPPRESSOR COME FORCE ME LEAVE ISRAEL. ME SERVE STRANGER MUST.
ME DRINK WINE MAKE MIND N-U-M-B. SOON SALVATION ARRIVE AGAIN.
(<) SEVENTY YEARS LATER, ENEMY COLLAPSE. (>) OUR Z-E-R-U-B-A-V-E-L STAND-FIRM.14
(K'rot qomat) (2h)YOU REMEMBER PURIM? H-A-M-A-N TRY KILL M-O-R-D-E-C-H-A-I.
PRIDE LEAD H-A-M-A-N FAIL. BIG-HEADED15 GULP16 QUIET.
JEWISH PEOPLE DOMINANT17, H-A-M-A-N HIS-left NAME YOU DESTROY FINISH.
HIS-left SON TEN, HANGED18 (2h)V-CL'bodies on gallows from top to bottom'19 THAT'S-IT20.
(Y'vanim nikb'tzu) LATER GREEK PEOPLE TRY DESTROY OUR CULTURE.
WALL OUR RAMPARTS21 THEY-lf OVER MAKE TEMPLE O-I-L DIRTY*.
ONLY-ONE* CUP LEFT CLEAN*. SHOW GOD HIS-God's MIRACLE BLOSSOM22.
RABBI23 WISE SET-UP CELEBRATE EIGHT D-A-Y-S, SING, CANDLE LIGHT-CANDLE"each".
(Chasof z'roa) SHOW"all" WORLD YOUR POWER. HURRY TIME-PERIOD JEWISH PEOPLE FINALLY SAVE.
BAD COUNTRY VARIOUS RESPONSIBLE SPILL-OUT24 OUR BLOOD, PLEASE REVENGE"each".
OUR VICTORY POSTPONED TOO LONG. BAD HAPPEN SAME-OLD-THING, DON'T.
LONG-AGO BAD INFLUENCE PUSH-ASIDE25. LET OUR SEVEN HERO26 TAKE-UP CONTROL.
To hear the music (without words), go to Inner Realm of Patria scroll down to "National Anthem" and click on "Listen to a MIDI version here."
- All glosses marked with a footnote are described below. For an explanation of other glossing symbols used, see Explanation of glossing used. CHANNUKAH - (2h), POs away , FOs up, index fingers touch and then separate while sweeping up in an arc, like the arms of a candelabra.
LIGHT-CANDLE"each" - (2H)[bX] strikes match and DH successively lights wicks.
- MIRACLE - WONDERFUL* WORK.
- GO-IN-CYCLES - (2h)[1^], POs ><, FOs away, index fingers touch and then DH circles vertically several times orthogonal (perpendicular) to the chest, each time coming back to where it contacted the other finger.
- (1-OF-3), (2-OF-3), (3-OF-3) - NDH , PO > signer, FO > DS, and DH taps thumb for "(1-OF-3)", taps index finger for "(2-OF-3)", and taps middle finger for "(3-OF-3).
- LAMP -  flicks middle finger against chin.
- COHEN - The hands are held with thumbs touching, POs face away from signer, and the fingers are held together but split between the middle and ring fingers, like Mr. Spock on Star Trek (Leonard Nemoy is a cohen and got the gesture from this one which is used to bless the people during holidays).
- OPPRESSION-OFF - DH [B] lifts upwards and off from contacting [S], PO > DS while mouthing "off".
- FOUNDATION - NDH [S], PO > signer, FO > DS, is held out with arm parallel to the chest and DH [S], PO > signer, strikes hand from below and then strikes elbow from below.
- PREPARED - (2h)[S] are held at the chest as if holding a rope and move forward while opening to (2h). For a QuickTime movie of this sign, see ASL browser - cause.
- HAD-FILL-OF - [5:], PO down, FO > NDS is held under chin and drawn > DS while closing to an [S].
- (2h)#ALL - (2h)[A], POs ><, FOs up, are held at shoulder height and move away while opening to (2h)[L].
- CONFRONT - (2h)[B], start with FOs away, DPO down, NDPO up, hands move away together, then circle back slightly and end with FOs up.
- STAND-FIRM - Elbow of DH [S] is placed firmly against the backhand of NDH [B], PO down.
- BIG-HEADED - (2h)[L:], POs ><, are held at sides of head and seperate like the sign BIG with pc.
- GULP - [5:], PO > throat, FO up, closes to [S], while compressing mouth.
- DOMINANT - (2h)[A], FOs away, DH starts below NDH and arcs around it until it is on top.
- HANGED - [S], PO away, FO > NDS, pulls at neck like rope and head moves > NDS.
- (2h)V-CL'bodies on gallows from top to bottom' - (2h)[V^], POs down, FOs away, hands are held high, DH below NDH, and with NDH in place, DH descends in a jerky motion to show people hanged one below the other.
- THAT'S-IT - (2h), POs ><, FOs away, both hands rise while shaking at the wrists.
- RAMPARTS - (2h)[S] places D arm on top of ND arm like TABLE and then ND on D.
- BLOSSOM - (2h)[A] press palms together and twist like CHANGE, opening to (2h)[5;].
- RABBI - (2h)[R], POs > signer, fingertips touch the top of the chest at each side and descend straight down the chest while touching it. For a QuickTime movie of this sign, see ASL browser - rabbi.
- SPILL-OUT - (2h)[C] spill out an imaginary liquid.
- PUSH-ASIDE - (2h)[B], POs > NDS, FOs away, push an imaginary object > NDS.
- HERO - BRAVE BOY.