EXPLANATION OF THE GLOSSING SYSTEM
(to understand how I describe the signs in this translation).
1. FROM PLACE DEEP ME SHOUT TO YOU-rt. SHOUT TO YOU-rt, LORD. LORD, OPEN-EARS, LISTEN ME. PAY-ATTENTION MY VOICE.
Refrain: WITH THE LORD, HAVE MERCY. HE-rt PAY-OFF YOUR SIN DEBT WILL. HAPPEN SUFFER, SUMMON HIM-rt. HE-rt ANSWER ANY TIME (2h)YOU SUMMON.
2. IF YOU-rt LORD, CALCULATE OUR GUILT, MEAN HOPE SURVIVE CAN'T. BUT YOU-rt LORD, WILLING FORGIVE SIN. HAVE-MERCY-ON-us MEAN STILL WORSHIP YOU-rt CAN.
3. TRUST THE-rt LORD. DEPEND HIS-rt PROMISE CAN. WAIT"over time" LORD COME, MY SOUL. DURING WHOLE LIFE, ME WAIT LORD, IDEA~LIKE NIGHT GUARD WAIT FOR SUNRISE.
4. JEWISH PEOPLE SHOULD WAIT FOR LORD MORE-THAN NIGHT GUARD WAIT SUNRISE. WHY? KINDNESS HIS+. SIN DEBT (2h)#ALL PEOPLE, HE-rt WILLING PAY-OFF.
Notes: ME - Underlined words are honorific indices ("indexes"), using the FT of the upturned palm to indicate who is being honored.
SHOUT - (2h)[5:], POs > signer, FOs up, rise from mouth while twisting at wrists.
OPEN-EARS - (2h)[Bb], POs away, FO s up, are held by DS ear as if it were closed and then "opened". This is repeated at the NDS.
MERCY - (2h)[open 8], POs > people who are receiving mercy, hands move in vertical circles normal (perpendicular) to the chest.
PAY-OFF - [open 8] runs middle finger up palm (> wrist), changes to a [B], PO down, and then moves back across palm.
SIN - (2h)[X] touch their respective sides of the mouth, descend to neutral space and circle antisymmetrically parallel to the chest. For an animated gif of this sign, see Animated dictionary of religious signs - Deaf Missions: Sin.
DEBT - [1^] taps FT against palm of [B], PO up, FO away. For a QuickTime file of this sign, see ASL Pro: Debt.
SUMMON - DH [B] taps NDH [B], PO down, FO > signer, then moves > signer while closing to an [A], PO away from signer, FO up, and moving up.
SURVIVE - Sign LIVE but mouth "survive".
HAVE-MERCY-ON-us - (2h)[open 8], POs > signer, hands move in vertical circles normal (perpendicular) to the chest. For a QuickTime file of this sign, see ASL Pro: Mercy - 2.
WORSHIP - NDH is clasped over DH [S] and hands circle perpendicular to the chest. For an animated gif of this sign, see Animated dictionary of religious signs - Deaf Missions: Worship.
WHOLE - (2h)[B^], POs up, FOs ><, DH circles around NDH and lands on its palm. For a QuickTime file of COMPLETE, see ASL Pro: Whole.
IDEA~LIKE - A blending where IDEA has a [Y] instead of an [I] in anticipation of LIKE which is signed smoothly right afterwards.
GUARD - G-PREVENT.
MORE-THAN - (2h)[B^], touch FTs, then DH moves up in an arc towards the signer and away. For a QuickTime movie of this sign, see ASL browser - more than.
KINDNESS - (2h)[B^], POs ><, FOs away, NDH is held close to heart and DH circles around it.
(2h)#ALL - (2h)[A], POs ><, FOs up, are held at shoulder height and move away while opening to (2h)[L].
1. Out of the depths I cry to you, I cry to you, O Lord. Lord, open your ears and hear my voice, attend to the sound of my plea.
Refrain: With the Lord there is mercy and the fullness of redemption, call to him in your trials, he will answer whenever you call.
2. If you, O Lord, should mark our guilt, then, Lord, who could hope to survive? But with you is found forgiveness of sin, and mercy that we might revere you.
3. Trust in the Lord, count on his word, wait for the Lord, my soul. I will wait for the Lord all the days of my life as sentinels wait for the dawn.
4. More than sentinels wait for the dawn, let Israel wait for the Lord. For kindness is His, redemption for all, forgiveness of sins for his people.
To hear a musical setting of these lyrics (without words), go to Bob's MIDI Sequences, Hymn-type MIDI Sequences and click on "With the Lord (M. Joncas)".