EXPLANATION OF THE GLOSSING SYSTEM
(to understand how I describe the signs in this translation).
Refrain: LEAD ME LIKE SHEPHERD. ME REALLY-WANT, PUSH-ASIDE-lf; ME FEAR, PUSH-ASIDE-rt. DIE, LEAD-TO LIFE.
1. GOD, IDEA~LIKE SHEPHERD. ME L-A-C-K NOTHING. ME REST GRASS~THEREABOUTS. HAVE FAITH; HAVE L-O-V-E. ME TAKE-WALK PASS WATER CALM-WAVES. INSIDE-SELF FEEL PEACE-OF-MIND. Refrain
2. SOFT-HEARTED, YOU-rt RAISE-UP ME. MY SOUL TIRED, HEAL. YOU-rt HELP-me FOLLOW (<) RIGHTEOUSNESS, (>) TRUTH. MY SPIRIT EXPRESS YOUR-rt NAME IDEA~LIKE MUSIC. Refrain
3. E-V-E-N HAPPEN ME EXPERIENCE VALLEY DEATH, ME NOT FEAR BAD*. WHY? YOU-rt SUPPORT+ ME. (<) YOUR-rt ROD, (>) YOUR-rt STAFF, HELP ME (<) FEEL COMFORT, (>) FEEL HOPE. Refrain
4. ME APPROACH HATE, YOU-rt OFFER BANQUET L-O-V-E. THAT L-O-V-E YOU-rt CROWN-me ME BEYOND MY POWER HOLD. Refrain
5. TRUE-BIZ YOUR-rt (<) KINDNESS, (>) MERCY-ON-me, FOLLOW ME EVERY-DAY ME LIVE. ME STAY WITH GOD HIS-rt HOUSE FROM-NOW-ON FOREVER. Refrain
Notes: REALLY-WANT - the sign WANT but shaken back and forth to show intensity.
PUSH-ASIDE - (2h)[B], POs > DS, with DH higher, palms are pressed against imaginary wall that is pushed to one side (left or right as indicated).
FEAR - (2h), POs away, FOs up, hands are held far from body and move back to body in a wavy pattern.
IDEA~LIKE - a blending where IDEA has a [Y] instead of an [I] in anticipation of LIKE which - signed smoothly right afterwards.
DON'T - (2h)[B], POs down, cross at wrists, then uncross moving horizontally and emphatically. For a QuickTime movie of this sign, see ASL browser - don't.
THEREABOUTS - , PO down, FO away, circles parllel to the floor. For a QuickTime movie of this sign, see ASL browser - approximately.
TAKE-WALK - [F], PO down, FO away, nods at wrist as it moves forward.
CALM-WAVES - (2h)[F], POs down, FOs away, show a slight rippling of the water.
INSIDE-SELF - The FT of [C] are held against the chest and stuff the FT of [O^] into the [C] twice.
PEACE-OF-MIND - (2h)[V], POs away, FOs up, are held at shoulder level.
SOFT-HEARTED - HEART + (2h)[5^] descend slightly twice while closing to (2h)[O^].
RAISE-UP - (2h)[B], POs down, FOs away, lower slightly, supinate, and rise up.
RIGHTEOUSNESS - elbow of DH [S] is placed firmly in the palm of NDH [B].
ROD - (2h)[C], POs ><, FOs away, are held with DH above and touching NDH. DH moves upwards.
STAFF - (2h)[F], POs > DS, FOs away. Hands are held with thumbsides touching. DH moves > NDS then > DS in C shape, like a shepherd's crook.
APPROACH - (2h)[B], FOs up, DH PO away, ND is held in front of NDH and palm faces it, then both hands approach one another slightly.
BANQUET - (2h)alt.EAT. For a QuickTime file of this sign, see ASL Pro: Feast.
CROWN-me - (2h)[L:] (like BIG) place crown on head with large single movement. For a QuickTime file of this sign, see ASL Pro: Crown.
KINDNESS - (2h)[B^], POs ><, FOs away, NDH is held close to heart and DH circles around it.
TRUE-BIZ - TRUE + (2h)[S], POs down, FOs away, DH brushes from side to side across NDH wrist.
FROM-NOW-ON - (2h)[B^], POs ><, FOs away, DHFT touches knuckle side of NDHFT and moves away in a downward arc. For a QuickTime movie of this sign, see ASL browser - from now on.
Refrain: Shepherd me, O God, beyond my wants, beyond my fears, from death into life.
1. God is my shepherd, so nothing shall I want, I rest in the meadows of faithfulness and love, I walk by the quiet waters of peace.
2. Gently you raise me and heal my weary soul, you lead me by pathways of righteousness and truth, my spirit shall sing the music of your Name,
3. Though I should wander the valley of death, I fear no evil, for you are at my side, your rod and your staff, my comfort and my hope.
4. You have set my a banquet of love in the face of hatred, crowning me with love beyond my power to hold.
5. Surely your kindness and mercy follow me all the days of my live; I will dwell in the house of my God forevermore.
To hear the music (without words), go to MIDI music: S and click on "Shepherd me, O God."