EXPLANATION OF THE GLOSSING SYSTEM
(to understand how I describe the signs in this translation).
Refrain: DURING LENT OUR SOUL JOURNEY. (<) WE alt.SEE, (>) WE alt.HEAR, GOD SUMMON. HELP PEOPLE WE SERVE GET JUSTICE.
1. PEOPLE WITHOUT HOME WE NETWORK@lf. HELP THEIR-lf LIVE BECOME WARM. EVENING COOL, WE PROTECT THEIR-lf alt.DREAM. FEEL MERCY-ON-lf WE FIND CLOTHES FOR THEM-lf HAVE PEACE. Refrain
2. WE SEE-rt PEOPLE HUNGRY, REMEMBER CHRIST TEACH-us US HELP-rt LIKE HE-lf HELP-us US. WE FEED-rt, THEY-rt SATISFIED, REALLY-WANT THEM-rt AGAIN TRUST OUR GOD STRONG. Refrain
3. PEOPLE THEM-rt (<) POOR, (>) EXHAUSTED, WE PAY-ATTENTION-lf THEIR-lf CALL. VOICE SING SAD AGAIN+, WE SHOW"all" OURSELVES SOFT-HEARTED WILLING TAKE-CARE-lf. Refrain
4. WE SUMMON SPIRIT REPRESENT JUSTICE. PRAY"over time" WE CONTINUE RIGHTEOUS. WE SING ABOUT LIBERATION. ANY PLACE WE FIND-rt PEOPLE STRESSED, WE WANT THEM-rt FREE. Refrain
Notes: LENT - Thumb of [L], Po > NDS< FO up, is drawn along mouth from NDS to DS.
SUMMON - DH [B] taps NDH [B], PO down, FO > signer, then moves > signer while closing to an [A], PO away from signer, FO up, and moving up.
JUSTICE - (2h)[B^], POs ><, FOs up, tap FT while moving in a horizontal circle.
NETWORK - (2h)[open 8] touch middle fingers while twisting in opposite directions. For a QuickTime movie of this sign, see ASL browser - network.
HE Underlined words are honorific indices ("indexes"), using the FT of the upturned palm to indicate who is being honored.
REALLY-WANT - WANT but shaken back and forth to show intensity.
EXHAUSTED - TIRED + [V], PO up, FO > NDS, is drawn with effort across the palm of [B], PO up, FO away.
CALL - SUMMON.
SOFT-HEARTED - SOFT-HEARTED - HEART + (2h)[5^] descend slightly twice while closing to (2h)[O^] but hands close to heart.
REPRESENT - R-SHOW.
RIGHTEOUS - Elbow of DH [S] is placed firmly against the backhand of NDH [B], PO down.
LIBERATION - Starts like PRESSURE, DH [B], PO down, FO away, push down slightly on [S], PO > DS, FO away, then the DH is brought upwards suddenly and the signer mouths "off".
STRESSED - DH [B], PO down, FO > NDS, pushs down on [S], PO > DS, FO away, which is held against chest.
Refrain: In these days of Lenten journey we have seen and we have heard the call to sow justice in the lives of those we serve.
1. We reach out to those who are homeless, to those who live without warmth. In the coolness of evening we'll shelter their dreams; we will clothe them in mercy and peace.
2. We open our eyes to the hungry and see the faces of Christ. As we nourish all people who hunger for food, may their faith in our God be renewed.
3. We open our ears to the weary and hear the cry of the poor. To the voices that echo the song of despair, we will show our compassion and care.
4. We call on the Spirit of Justice and pray for righteousness' sake. We will sing for the freedom of all the oppressed; we will loosen the bonds of distress.