EXPLANATION OF THE GLOSSING SYSTEM
(to understand how I describe the signs in this translation).
Refrain: ME WANT CALL-ON YOU-rt, USE NAME. ME WILL NAME YOU-rt MY GOD. ME WILL THANK YOU, ME WILL SING PRAISE TO YOU-rt.
1. GOD CALL-ON ME, (role play) COME-ON LEAVE YOUR GRAVE. (end role play) IDEA~LIKE EAGLE, ME FIND STRENGTH FLAP-WINGS, FLY-AWAY.
2. GOD WILLING FORGIVE. GOD SOFT-HEARTED, FILLED-UP L-O-V-E. L-O-V-E CAN CONQUER, LOVE CAN CONQUER DEATH.
3. GOD KNOW US DEEP. WE RELATED-TO OUR GOD. GOD HAVE-MERCY-ON-us, GOD HAVE-MERCY-ON-us US SINNER.
Notes: ME - Underlined words are honorific indices ("indexes"), using the FT of the upturned palm to indicate who is being honored.
CALL-ON - DH [B] taps NDH [B], PO down, FO away from signer, then moves > signer while closing to an [A], PO away from signer, FO up, and moving up. For a QuickTime movie of this sign, see ASL browser - call.
GRAVE - (2h), POs down, FOs away, hands move > signer with in an upward arc.
IDEA~LIKE - A blending where IDEA has a [Y] instead of an [I] in anticipation of LIKE which is signed smoothly right afterwards.
FLAP-WINGS - (2h)[B] cross hands at wrist and move like flapping wings.
FLY-AWAY - (2h) cross fingers as in CONFLICT and move up and away while repeatedly curling fingers like flapping wings.
SOFT-HEARTED - HEART + (2h)[5^] descend slightly twice while closing to (2h)[O^] but hands close to heart.
CONQUER - (2h)[S], DPO > NDS, NDPO down, FOs away, are held with DH on top of NDH and DH strikes NDH wrist on dorsal side (from above) and nods while staying at wrist.
HAVE-MERCY-ON-us - (2h)[open 8], POs > signer, hands move in vertical circles normal (perpendicular) to the chest. For a QuickTime file of this sign, see ASL Pro: Mercy - 2.
SINNER - (2h)[X] touch their respective sides of the mouth, descend to neutral space and circle antisymmetrically parallel to the chest + AGENT. For an animated gif of the first part, see Animated dictionary of religious signs - Deaf Missions: Sin.
Refrain: I want to call you by name. I will call you: "My God." I will thank you, I will sing praise to you.
1. God calls to me: "Come forth from your grave." Like an eagle, like an eagle I find strength.
2. God will forgive. God is tenderness and love. Love is greater, love is greater than death.
3. God knows us well. To our God we belong. God is mercy, God is mercy for our sins.
To hear a musical setting of these lyrics (without words), go to Bob Sorem's hymn MIDI sequences and click on "I Want to Call You (D. Haas)".