EXPLANATION OF THE GLOSSING SYSTEM
(to understand how I describe the signs in this translation).
1. HERE WE GATHER. GATHER ROW-AFTER-ROW. COOPERATE LIKE BROTHER SISTER. COME-ON JOIN US NOW. HOPE ANY SEARCH HERE, FIND FRIENDLY CONVERSATION. HOPE EACH SPEAK HERE FEEL WE TAKE-IN-BY-EYE SUPPORT+. COME-ON SING TOGETHER, EXPRESS YOUR HEART WITH SONG.
2. HERE WE GATHER. CALLED-ON CELEBRATE EVERYDAY OUR LIFE TIME-PERIOD, (<) IMPORTANT, (>) NOTHING-TO-IT, BOTH. OUR AGE DIFFERENT++, WOMAN, CHILDREN, MAN. (<) SOME KNOW-NOTHING, (>) SOME EXPERIENCED. SHARE-WITH"all" WHAT WE CAN. COME-ON SING TOGETHER, EXPRESS YOUR HEART WITH SONG.
3. LIFE HAVE STRUGGLE, SORROW, REGRET. MAYBE DARK, REMEMBER PATIENT. HERE WE GATHER, WE KNOW EACH-OTHER PAIN. KIND WORD++ HEAL US. IF WE GIVE, WE GET. COME-ON SING AS FRIEND, EXPRESS YOUR HEART WITH SONG.
Notes: GATHER - (2h)[S], FO > signer, move > signer while opening to (2h)[5wg].
ROW-AFTER-ROW - (2h)[V:], POs > signer, FOs up, hands separate to show a row close to the signer and then repeat several times moving hands further away to show multiple rows.
COME-ON - (2h)[B] move in circles pivoting at the wrists to beckon someone to do something.
TAKE-IN-BY-EYE - (2h), POs ><, FOs away, thumbs point at eye level and move several times > signer while wg FT (not thumb).
KNOW-NOTHING - [F], PO > NDS, FOs up, move hand side-to-side slightly at midforehead.
EXPERIENCED - , PO > cheek, FO up, runs down cheek once, then pronates to PO away from cheek, FO > back of signer, and runs across cheek once.
REGRET - [Y] twists thumb against chin.
1. Here we have gathered, gathered side by side.
Circle of kinship, come and step inside!
May all who seek here find a kindly word;
May all who speak here feel they have been heard.
Sing now together, this our hearts' own song.
2. Here we have gathered, called to celebrate
Days of our lifetime, matters small and great;
We of all ages, women, children, men,
Infants and sages, sharing what we can.
Sing now together this, our hearts' own song.
3. Life has its battles, sorrows and regret:
But in the shadows, let us not forget:
We who now gather know each other's pain;
Kindness can heal us; as we give, we gain.
Sing now in friendship, this our hearts' own song.
To hear a performance of this song, go to Unitarian Universalist Church of Nashua recordings: Here we have gathered.