EXPLANATION OF THE GLOSSING SYSTEM
(to understand how I describe the signs in this translation).
1, 5. WE BOW-DOWN-TO YOU, YOURSELF MAKE WORLD~GENERAL. YOURSELF KNOW DEATH MEAN END NOT. WE BOW-DOWN-TO YOU, YOURSELF LIVE INSIDE-SELF US. ||: EACH BREATH HELP US REALIZE BOW-DOWN SHOULD. :|| (When this verse is sung as verse 5, sing the last sentence 3 times, instead of two.)
2. WE HAVE ENOUGH BREAD EAT. WHY? YOU KIND HELP-us. CEREAL SEEDS DIE LEAD-TO PLANT GROW-TALL, MEAN LIVE AGAIN. MANY SEEDS BECOME ONE BREAD (2h)C-CL'loaf'. PARALLEL ||: WE GROUP-TOGETHER COOPERATE. :||
3. WE HAVE ENOUGH WINE DRINK. WHY? YOU KIND HELP-us. PEOPLE WORK++"sta", GRAPES BECOME WINE. THEIR-rt WORK CAUSE MANY HAPPY. PARALLEL ||: REALLY-WANT YOUR L-O-V-E SPREAD WORLD THEREABOUTS. :|| WE BOW-DOWN-TO YOU, WE BOW-DOWN-TO YOU.
4. HERE ANY* STRANGER WELCOME JOIN-us US. HERE ANY* HUNGRY, WE FEED WILL. COME-ON JOIN-us US. GO-AHEAD KNOW HIM CAUSE LIFE NEW. ||: alt.EAT TOGETHER MEAN KNOW HIM WILL. :||
Notes: BOW-DOWN-TO - God can bless us, but I take issue with the idea that we can bless God on semantic and theological grounds. The Hebrew baruch (usually translated "bless") is related to the word birkayim (knees), and thus has the meaning of bending the knee to God. This is why I have chosen to translated "blessed" as WE BOW-DOWN-TO.
INSIDE-SELF - The FT of [C] are held against the chest and stuff the FT of [O^] into the [C] twice.
The signs between "||:" and ":||" are to be repeated.
KIND(NESS) - (2h)[B^], POs ><, FOs away, NDH is held close to heart and DH circles around it.
CEREAL - There are many signs for this; one is [X], PO up, rubs along ND forearm as if harvesting.
SEEDS - [O^], PO down, FO away, moves away while closing to an [A], as if planting seeds.
LEAD-TO - This is the same as the sign LEAD, but I have added the "-TO" to show how its meaning fits into the sentence.
GROW-TALL - GROW with the DH ending higher in the air than usual and mroe emphatic.
(2h)C-CL'loaf' - (2h)[C], POs away, FOs up, are held next to one another and separate to show the shpae of a loaf of bread.
GROUP-TOGETHER - (2h)[C], POs ><, FOs away, hands are brought together as if pushing people/things together into a group.
CAUSE - (2h)[S] are held at the chest as if holding a rope and move forward while opening to (2h). For a QuickTime movie of this sign, see ASL browser - cause.
REALLY-WANT - the sign WANT but shaken back and forth to show intensity.
THEREABOUTS - , PO down, FO away, circles parllel to the floor.
JOIN-us - looks like JOIN but the DH - inserted from the other side of the NDH.
COME-ON - (2h)[B^] move in circles pivoting at the wrists to beckon someone to do something.
GO-AHEAD - (2h)[B^ dot], POs ><, FOs away, move forward in a jerk.
Special note: There is an optional chant for choir underneath the soloist repeating, "Baruch atah adonai, Elohenu." (Hebrew - Blessed are you, our God.) Verse 3 leads to an interlude where the choir will chant, "Baruch atah, baruch atah, bar- (Blessed are you, blessed are you, ble-)" and then verse 4 begins. At the end of verse 5, the soloist sings for a third time, "Blessed be you with every breath."
1, 5. Blessed are you who made the universe, you who see beyond our death. Blessed are you who dwells in each of us. Blessed be you with every breath.
2. Through your goodness we have bread to eat, seeds that died to bring life new, as the separate grains become one loaf, gather us as one in you.
3. Through your goodness we have wine to drink, fruit of vineyard, work of hands. Let the fruits of all we celebrate spread your love to every land.
4. Here the stranger is a welcome guest. Here all hungers shall be fed. Come and know the one who brings you life in breaking of the bread.