EXPLANATION OF THE GLOSSING SYSTEM
(to understand how I describe the signs in this translation).
Refrain: MY SOUL BOW-DOWN LORD SHOULD. PEOPLE DEPRESSED HE-ctr COMFORT.
1. UNTIL DEATH, ME SING YOU-ctr. ME TRUST YOU-ctr ALWAYS, GOD. HEAVEN FULL STAR SCADS-OF BRIGHT. EARTH SHOW"all" YOUR-ctr GLORY. Refrain
2. DON'T ALWAYS TRUST YOUR RULER HELP. TRUE THEY-lf MIGHTY NOW. BUT BREATHING FAIL, THEIR-lf POWER DIE. THEIR-lf PLAN DISSOLVE, GONE. Refrain
3. PEOPLE BLIND, YOU-ctr HELP-lf alt.SEE; PEOPLE LOWLY, YOU-ctr RAISE-UP-rt. YOUR HEART CLOSE-TO PEOPLE FEEL-DEFLATED. YOU-ctr WELCOME (2h)#ALL PEOPLE. Refrain
4. PEOPLE TRUST YOU-ctr HAVE HAPPY LIFE. YOU-ctr MAKE SURE OPPRESSED GET JUSTICE. THEY-rt GIVE YOUR FOOD TO EACH HUNGRY HEART, PRISONER OPPRESSION-OFF, FREE CAN. Refrain
5. (<) WEAK, (>) POOR, YOU-ctr SUPPORT THROUGH L-O-V-E. EVIL YOU-ctr DESTROY. YOU-ctr CONTROL LIKE KING FROM-NOW-ON FOREVER, EVERY GENERATION. Refrain
Notes: BOW-DOWN - (2h)[B], POs away, FOs up, are held like the final position of GIVE-UP, then bend these arms twice while bowing at waist once. Note: This may seem a strange translation of "bless", but theologically I don't see how we can bless God. The Hebrew this concept comes from is "baruch" and is related to "birkayim (knees)", in other words "bend the knee [to God]".
HE - Underlined words are honorific indices ("indexes"), using the FT of the upturned palm to indicate who is being honored.
COMFORT - Like COMFORTABLE but signed more slowly.
SCADS-OF - (2h)[5:], POs down, FOs away, move forward to show many beings.
BRIGHT - (2h)[O^], POs away, FOs up, open to (2h), while separating. For a QuickTime file of this sign, see ASL Pro: Light - 1.
GLORY - (2h), POs><, FOs away from signer, DH which is on top wiggles fingers while ascending. For an animated gif of this sign, see Animated dictionary of religious signs - Deaf Missions: Glory.
DON'T - (2h)[B], POs down, cross at wrists, then uncross moving horizontally and emphatically. For a QuickTime movie of this sign, see ASL browser - don't.
RULER - CONTROL AGENT.
MIGHTY - (2h)[S], POs > back of signer, FOs up, are held at NDS and fists descend, then repeat at DS.
BREATHING - (2h), POs > signer, FOs ><, hands move to and for as if breathing.
GONE - [5^], PO > face, FO up, moves downwards and closes to a [O^], while the NDH is a [B], PO > singer, FO > DS held further away and in neutral space.
LOWLY - (2h)[B^], POs ><, FOs up, move downwards arcing towards the signer. This is the opposite of the sign ADVANCED. For an animated gif of ADVANCED, see Animated dictionary of religious signs - Deaf Missions: Exalted.
RAISE-UP - (2h)[B], POs down, FOs away, lower slightly, supinate, and rise up.
FEEL-DEFLATED - [C], PO > NDS, FO up, is held at midchest and closes to [O^]. You can hold [B], PO down, FO > DS underneath it.
(2h)#ALL - (2h)[A], POs ><, FOs up, are held at shoulder height and move away while opening to (2h)[L].
OPPRESSED - DH [B], PO down, FO > NDS, pushs down on [S], PO > DS, FO away, which is held against chest.
JUSTICE - (2h)[B^], POs ><, FOs up, tap FT while moving in a horizontal circle.
OPPRESSION-OFF - Starts like PRESSURE, DH [B], PO down, FO away, push down slightly on [S], PO > DS, FO away, then the DH is brought upwards suddenly and the signer mouths "off".
EVIL - (2h), wg while moving repeatedly > forehead. For an animated gif of this sign, see Valley Bible Church - ASL dictionary: Satan.
FROM-NOW-ON - (2h)[B^], POs ><, FOs away, DHFT touches knuckle side of NDHFT and moves away in a downward arc. For a QuickTime movie of this sign, see ASL browser - from now on.
Refrain: O bless the Lord, my soul who heals the broken-hearted.
1. For all my life I will sing to you, O ever faithful God. You fill the heavens with wondrous lights. The earth sings out your glory.
2. Put not your trust in those who rule, the mighty of this earth. Their breath shall fail, their power die, their plans shall fade and vanish.
3. You give your sight to all the blind; you raise up those bent low. Your heart is near to the broken ones; you welcome in the stranger.
4. Happy those who keep faith with you, securing justice for the oppressed, who give your food to each hungry heart, your freedom to each captive.
5. The weak and poor you sustain in love, the wicked ones you bring to destruction; Forevermore shall your reign endure, to every generation.