EXPLANATION OF THE GLOSSING SYSTEM
(to understand how I describe the signs in this translation).
1. AMAZING GRACE, WORD++ INSPIRED SWEET.
YOU-lf,hi SAVE SINNER LIKE ME.
BEFORE-NOW MY SOUL LOST, BUT NOW YOU-lf,hi FIND-me ME.
BEFORE-NOW BLIND, NOW ME SEE TRUTH
2. GRACE TEACH-me ME MY HEART BOW-DOWN-God.
GRACE MAKE MY FEAR DISSOLVE.
YOUR GRACE, ME CHERISH FAST, NOT DELAY.
FIRST HOUR ME BELIEVE TRUE~BIZ.
3. UP-TO-NOW ME (2h)EXPERIENCE (<) DANGER, (>) TEMPTATION.
ME STRUGGLE NOT GIVE-UP.
GRACE ITSELF BRING-me-FROM-past-TO HERE SAFE.
GRACE LEAD-me-TO-heaven HOME HEAVEN.
4. LORD HIMSELF PROMISE GOOD~THINGS FOR ME.
HIS WORD CAUSE MY HOPE STRONG.
HE-lf,hi PROTECT"over time" ME. (2h)GIFT-TO-ME MANY THING.
FROM-THEN-ON UNTIL LAST DAY.
5. KNOW-THAT WHEN MY BODY WILL FAIL.
MY HEART-BEAT STOP, LIFE HIT* GONE.
ME #GO-TO HEAVEN LIVE THERE.
FROM-THEN-ON HAPPY, PEACE INSIDE-SELF.
6. FUTURE-spiral EARTH DISSOLVE IDEA~LIKE SNOW.
GOD BECOME OUR SUNSHINE.
BUT ME CONTINUE WITH MY GOD.
TWO-OF-US GO-TOGETHER FOREVER.
7. SUPPOSE WE LIVE THERE-heaven TEN THOUSAND YEAR.
OUR BODY body-SHINY+ IDEA~LIKE SUN HON.INDEX-ctr.
WE STILL HAVE NO LESS TIME PRAISE HIM-lf,hi.
FOREVER, FOREVER, NOT END.
Notes: The italicized "FOREVER" is executed with the non-dominant hand while the dominant hand stays in place.
Lyrics: (Some versions sing 1, 2, 4, 3, and 7, omitting 5 & 6)
1. Amazing grace! How sweet the sound
That saved a wretch like me!
I once was lost, but now am found;
Was blind, but now I see.
2. 'Twas grace that taught my heart to fear,
And grace my fears relieved;
How precious did that grace appear
The hour I first believed.
3. Through many dangers, toils and snares,
I have already come;
'Tis grace hath brought me safe thus far,
And grace will lead me home.
4. The Lord has promised good to me,
His Word my hope secures;
He will my Shield and Portion be,
As long as life endures.
5. Yea, when this flesh and heart shall fail,
And mortal life shall cease,
I shall possess, within the veil,
A life of joy and peace.
6. The earth shall soon dissolve like snow,
The sun forbear to shine;
But God, Who called me here below,
Shall be forever mine.
7. When we've been there ten thousand years,
Bright shining as the sun,
We've no less days to sing God's praise
Than when we'd first begun.
To hear a performance of this song, go to Unitarian Universalist Church of Nashua recordings: Amazing grace.